Tuesday 22 May 2007

PATTI SMITH

We saw Patti Smith in concert with her band including Lenny Kaye and Jackson Smith at the Sage, Gateshead! WOW. She is touring for the release of Twelve the new album of covers. WOW.There we were, thousands of us with her in the silver peanut, like we were in a space ship on a trip all together. WOW. Her cover of Smells like Teenspirit from Nevermind by Curt Cobain was to die for, no, to live for! WOW. So happy to have been there, so grateful that when I came of age as a young woman Patti Smith was there right beside and ahead of me. Patti Smith. I love her. Went to see the Horses tour at the Round House, London in 1975! I was lucky and went in to the first row after a woman came out and handed me a ticket as the concert was sold out and I was just listening outside! Whoever you are, thank you! WOW. Is almost all I can say. WOW.
Recently I took my son to see her play in the Berkshires at Mass MOCA in the courtyard one summer evening. Magical absolutely magical under the summer starry sky. Lenny Kaye sipping beer from a bottle, oriental carpets on the floor, it felt very intimate.
I met a love of my life at a Patti Smith impromptu concert at CBGB's in the late seventies when Ronnie Spector joined on stage in Be My Baby! That was WOW!
I was transformed (renewed) by the concert and found some of the energy and hope that I had as a young woman, filled with idealism as I was then, but I thought of it as realism! Of course. Today I feel just that much more myself again. Thanks Patti.

No comments: