Saturday 1 September 2007

Grace Paley


Grace Paley died on August 22nd this year from breast cancer at the age of 84.
I didn't think I ever thought she would die!
Grace Paley was an activist, a writer, a woman, Poet Laureate of Vermont, a teacher, a beacon, an amazing short story writer and a wonderful mensch.
I was surprised to hear today in reading the Saturday Guardian the obit by A M Homes, former student then friend, of Grace Paleys'.
Her books were great reading but I think most of her energy went into her political activism and teaching. She wrote as well with passion but she might have written more if she had not been so passionately engaged in so many other important things in life which is what I admire her for. I love the cardigans she wore, cardies are so cosy and comfy.
Grace Paley you are awesome!
A person of passion and integrity and the courage to be herself fully.
Read her work and read about her-it will inspire you!

No comments: