Monday 22 October 2007

Ruth Henry


I just learned last night that Ruth Henry died last Friday in Auxerre in the Bourgogne.
I met her through Elka Spoerri who knew her through Meret Oppenheim and I visited her in Paris whenever I was there. She also came to Switzerland on occasion when I lived there on her way to or from a kurort or spa in the summertime.
Ruth Henry was a journalist, author, partner to Maurice Henry a surrealist artist, surrealist friend, she also wrote about Unica Zurn and many others who were her friends. She was also a grande dame, who knew the old art of holding court, a salon. The most interesting people gathered in her memorable Paris, two-level, apartment in the 14th.
I have just heard the news and have to gather myself. The funeral is next Friday in Laduz.

No comments: