Thursday 6 March 2008

Tony Vevers


I just learned from a mailing that the artist Tony Vevers passed away on March 2nd.
Very sad to hear it, however Tony had been ill for a while and this brought him some peace I hope.
I met him and his family when I was a fellow at FAWC and found his spirit so beguiling. Those eyes, those intelligent and kind eyes. He was English who had been evacuated to the US during the war with his sister Pamela.
His whole family, wife and daughters are incredible artists and people, who give Cape Cod and Provincetown much of its colour.
There will be a memorial for him in the early summer at PAAM, with which he was very much involved.
Tony was also a magnificient art teacher and verbalised art making and its process with purpose very well. I hope all his writings will be published.
This is to Tabitha, Stephanie and Elspeth, thank you and take care.

No comments: