Thursday 3 April 2008

Happy Birthday Daddy!

Today is his birthday and I sent him a card and I am about to call him after tea.
Last year was a so called BIG birthday, every birthday is a big birthday really.
A celebration of our birth and life, all of them more alive than any funeral could be for the participant or reason for it.
The last time I was with him on his actual birthday was his 50th! Likewise with my mother. Birthdays were never big in my family of origin and there are many reasons for that.
Would that be part of why I celebrated my 50th with a bang last year? Certainly.
For me it marks/shows that we value life, not only our own, but life itself.
We want to share that with the friends and family who people our lives and in turn all the people who populate theirs.
I sent him a card from OXFAM which I picked out carefully to bring joy and spring.
I am looking forward to calling in a while and talking to him and hearing his voice from all this distance. The telephone is amazing! Voices are so special, communicating more in their tone than the words on occasion. He usually seems glad to be called. A sign of being thought of and cared for.

No comments: