Sunday 31 May 2009

The last day of the Merry Month of May

Today was the most beautiful day of the year so far!
Like a summer day, it unfolded from a warm sunny morning under a blue sky to a long day of blue and sun and a zephyr breeze.
The birds were ecstatic, the blue tits in the slate birdhouse were actively feeding their young and I discovered by chance that coal tits had a nest in an old rusty drainpipe by Robert the shepherds' sheep field. I thought they were in a gooseberry bush but it was in fact hiding the pipe!
A halcyon summer day if ever there was one. We did some laundry so it could line dry in the breeze and hot sun.
The cats were out all day and did not sleep for hours on end which they do during inclement weather.
I planted some calendula and lobelias, my Mormors favourites, along the path to the door. I also planted other plants that needed to go in now. The seeds are growing in leaps and bounds. I watered in the evening after the heat of the sun.
However the evening was light until way past 10 pm!
Lying under a tree looking up at the canopy and thinking/day dreaming I felt as though I was on vacation!
The lambs and the ewes have this sing song going on where the lamb first baas and then the ewe replies. It is really special to listen to because all the baas are different!
Once in a while I heard the horse down the lane make a sound like a humph, that and the pheasants, the dogs barking from other farms around and an occasional rooster crow made me feel like I was in heaven. Pure heaven on earth.
What a place this is! I love it when it is summery.
Yesterday I went to an oldfashioned village fete at Humshaugh at the Vicarage! The Vicar presided with the help of the local MP and wife. There were plenty of raffles, a plant sale, a rubber ducky pool, a book stall, bric a brac, cake competitions, and delicious teas on the Vicarage lawn surrounded by shrubs like lilacs and rhododendrons. I bought a euphorbia for a shady spot and three good books for a pound! A folk group named Canny Crack played Northumbrian music and children had their faces painted and danced. It was so much like the "Miss Marple world" I was practically waiting for the call and the hush after a body was discovered in the church or village hall. The Vicars wife was wearing periwinkle blue and a white hat and shoes. It was really a sweet afternoon apart from one oddity. There was a ferret run where children were supposed to guess which plastic pipe it would come out of. They were numbered and the sand coloured rather chubby ferret was first placed in a drum like thing and then the owner beat on the drum and the ferret started scrambling. Poor little thing and in that heat and noise.
I bet that ferret could not wait for the fete to be over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fate worse than death I would say!!
Meanwhile, at the back of the tea tent, dear old Miss Snodbucket, who never harmed a fly and who had polished the sexton's shoes every Sunday these last 15 years, was slowly sinking to the ground, bludgeoned to death by a pot full of prize petunias.

Pamela Robertson-Pearce said...

Actually dear Ms Whoisshe fell off her chair! I did not mention that! I was just sitting there in the shade looking at the spectacle and raffle winners go up to the Tory MP to get their prizes, when low and behold I fell off my chair! It sank into the Vicarage lawn.