Friday 18 December 2009

Stanley

A few years back when visiting Stanley Kunitz in his NYC apartment I was given a small orchid to take home with me. It was not in flower and needed TLC. Stanley had an extraordinary number of indoor plants, his window was filled with greenery climbing high.
I carried the orchid back carefully to the UK in my hand luggage.
When we got home I found a north facing window in the kitchen and took care of it. Since I did not quite know which kind it was I had to guess about the care. I called the orchid Stanley and I waited. Waited and cared and cared and waited. Now in time for the solstice 4 years later it has a flower! First it was a bud for weeks then each petal opened so slowly I could savour it totally. One amazing flower. Thank you Stanley for teaching me patience.

No comments: