Tuesday 1 January 2008

Have a Mindful New Year in 2008!


Last night I went to Harnham Monastery with a friend for a New Years celebration.
It was the way I wanted to spend the end of one year and the beginning of another.
How grateful I am that where I live there are three buddhist monasteries within about approx 2 hours drive!
Since coming to live in rural Northumberland there is much that I now do not have at my fingertips like when I lived in an urban environment. However what I do have includes this accesibility to buddhist practice opportunities in a sangha. Community can be so important even essential for any activity be it spiritual, creative, healing, intellectual or just living.
The talk centred on four topics;
Gratitude
Offering
Death
Simplicity
It was an inspiring talk and I felt very connected to the contents and I felt new doors opening in how I see and experience my living situation and daily life.
The temple was serene and beautiful, the ritual meaningful and the atmosphere positive.
I include an interior photograph of the temple. Wood is the dominant material used and it is warm and somehow breathing and living.
We chanted and meditated and wrote aspirations and forgivings down on paper which we later burned and offered.
I felt held in this ship this large space of individuals each one engaged in focussed celebration of life and other living beings.
Thank you.

No comments: