Wednesday 18 February 2009

Images and other weaknesses

By now you would have noticed that I must be a visual person. I pour over images and I am absolutely enamoured by looking and seeing.
Colour, form, content, juxtaposition...
I can look for ages.
Once many years ago, in London I think it was, I was at a friends house for a dinner party. Someone present had just put out a book with photos from Christiania, the free town in Copenhagen. Well I did not get beyond the very first page because it was an overview of the area from above and it was detailed and beautiful. For the first time I saw what it actually looked like as a place not just as an experience when visiting. Others at the dinner got very impatient with me after I had stared at this page for ages. Embarrassing for me and hard to explain my deep fascination.
As a child I used to look at my fathers books again for ages and ages never getting enough of the images. I would go INTO the picture. Start living inside it.
I did this in art museums also, my grandmother would go to the cafe and have coffee while I would sit in front of my favourite painting of the day and live in it. I was very lucky she was so understanding and patient.
Do you know what I mean?

No comments: