Monday 16 February 2009

India






Bombay Gateway to India. Well it will be my gateway.It will be my port of arrival when I finally make my trip to India. I have wanted to make this trip for years and it seems
that things are falling into place now.
There are many months until departure and time to prepare. I have several books I want to read and films to see and people to talk to.
I would be very happy and grateful if you my blogreader have any suggestions to make!
Any books or films or anything you would recommend-just go ahead please.Comments would be a good place to share them.
The book Maximum City... was a good read although limited in its subject matter. The book was divided into three sections Power, Pleasure and finally a shorter one called Passage. It felt as though the makers and writers of Slumdog Millionaire had read this book from cover to cover. Obviously being one of the largest cities in the world with a population larger than many countries, Bombay has a long and complex history past and recent. This city can not be done justice by one book and I am acutely aware of this. In fact books, films, music, poems, stories, photos, sound, smells and taste and feel can probably not do it justice!!!
So what I am saying is this my search will take me to other views and versions and yet the visit itself is not a culmination or an arrival only a visit. The most interesting point I found in Mr Mehta's writing was that of being an outsider even when "at home".I can empathize with this state very well.It is okay for a writer a creator and even helpful at times.
Travel is a way of learning but what about? Ultimately it is I who is doing the tripping and being with myself at the time all of the time. Would it not be great to be able to be a fly on the wall where they have no fly swatters!?
Island of Bombay map from 1909!

No comments: