Monday 30 March 2009

Maps

I have always been fascinated by maps.
When I was a young child I would pour over the atlas at home and the globe at school.
I spent hours traveling over the maps.
I read maps quite well and was especially good at orienteering in school. I loved it!
My hallway in Cambridge was plastered with maps from all over the world. Places I had been, places where friends lived and places I wanted to visit!
I would look at them frequently going into reverie. I had a pew in the hall and I could sit there for hours. Daydreaming is one of my pleasures. "My one weakness!" as Dorcas would say.
The underground maps below interest me particularly because they have become so schematic as representations. They are challenging especially for any traveler who does not know the lay of the land as it were.
In fact they are usually totally incorrect from an overground point of view.
Still they are so beautiful to look at. I find I prefer the red train and I like to travel on that one. When I lived in London it was my train, the Central Line, and in Boston the Red Line.
Newcastle does not have one, they have a minimal two colour system.
And New York, well what can I say?!

No comments: