Thursday 30 July 2009

Happy Birthday Noah!

Today is the birthday of my son Noah.
We are having lunch together at his fave Hexham restaurant Bouchon. Then with tea time at his I shall give the gifts I will bring and other things of interest: a newspaper article I cut out on Jasper Joffe an artist "auctioning his life away", a jar of grass seed to patch his lawn-a game of croquet anyone?, my gardening book so that we can identify what disease one of his tomato plants has, a Betjeman LP he gave on loan and I want the reggae cd set back!
These are the minutiae, the details of exchange and yet the larger issue is how do you actually celebrate a birthday. And why?
Pretty much everyone I know has a different relationship to their birthday and how they wish to deal with it.
For me when I turned 50 I made it an opportunity to spend some time with the people I love. Friends who were spread out all over the world and bringing them together to pamper them and enable them to meet and enjoy eachothers company too. It was a massive weekend party/event with outings and dinners, parties, live music, fantastic food, and fun.
I felt good about it and since none of us really know how long we are around for it seemed like a perfect time to do it.
And I found the right place nearby to where I live, a large house with grounds, an outdoor jacuzzi, views and walks, plenty of space...
Would I do it again? I will think of something different if I celebrate again.
Today is Noah's birthday and I am looking forward to spending the day with him.

No comments: