Wednesday 29 July 2009

Ledbury Poetry Festival Rocks

Every July the Ledbury Poetry Festival takes place in this charming ancient market town in the Malvern Hills.
This year I would say it was the best ever! Congratulations to Chloe Garner and her excellent team!

Highlights for me were the tennis finals between the Williams Sisters and Roger Federer and the other one. Just kidding.
But just barely, that weekend was riveting and I saw some of the best tennis since last years final between Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. It seems that during the festival Wimbledon is wrapping up and I must take time out for that!

Alice Oswald, Brian Catling, Ian Sinclair, Chase Twichell, Paul Farley, Ben Okri, Benjamin Zephaniah, Fred D'Aguiar, August Kleinzahler and John Hartley Williams were some of the poets I saw whilst there this year. Great variety and span.
Chase Twichell was a highlight for me. She is a commanding reader of insightful and intense poetry. She is very real and I was transfixed. August Kleinzahler is unique as a performer of his poetry. He is riveting.
I like this festival very much not only for its diverse programme but also for its friendly spirit and warm welcome.
There is a large room made availbale to those at the festival to sit down, read papers, relax with a hot beverage, talk to other attendees, and to meet. There are always snacks and drinks available and very friendly and helpful volunteers at all times!
I love that aspect and makes it very special in the world of festivals.
We have made good friends over the past couple of years that we have been going.

A visit to Great Malvern and its many second-hand bookshops yielded some finds. The Malvern Hills are lovely and it does not matter if it rains which it did! Had hot tea at Elgars tea room the Blue Bird! How about that?

If you are ever in that part of the country in the beginning to middle of July do consider visiting this poetry festival I highly recommend it.
I should also add the county is Herefordshire and the nearest large town is in fact Hereford.

No comments: