Saturday 24 October 2009

The Beauty Queen of Leenane

A play by Irish playwright Martin McDonagh from 1996. We saw it last night at Queens Hall Hexham in a very good production.

One night only and to a half-full auditorium the cast gave us its all and it was superb. Although a dark play it has some very good humour to make it more palatable. It had so many different levels; one the plight of Ireland, history, mental illness, relationships, and a struggle between mother and daughter...Tightly written, good sense of vernacular language however poetic and good comic relief made the play a real treat. Thank you!

I love going to the theatre! When I lived in Cambridge, Mass I went very often. Firstly there were several interesting theatres and programs in the Cambridge/Boston area and secondly being university cities there were lively and interested audiences too.
I was a graduate student at Emerson College in Theatre which also meant I was a jour with what was going on and I frequently ushered for free tix. I love theatre. The presence of the energy exchange between actors and audience, the intensity of being a part of something, I really miss that now in living such a rural existence. However last night was such a pleasure and a rare occasion so I treasure it greatly.

Martin McDonagh also wrote and directed "In Bruges" a film from a couple of years ago with Ralph Fiennes as a ruthless mobster set in the beautiful magical town of Bruges, which I now must visit!

No comments: