Sunday 10 January 2010

Garden Inspiration






We are expecting another 20 cm of snow this evening and I decided to look at some garden inspiration today!
It is such a slow process my garden journey. Every year there are changes made, but ever so slight.
First when I moved here I had to get to know the garden as it was and find out more about its history.
Then I started planting stuff because I was so impatient. Everything grows so fast here and it becomes wild very quickly.
I planted some fruit trees thinking ahead. Ferns and grasses because they look natural and play so well with the elements and the seasons. Roses went in Tuscany superb, Rosa rubia, Paul's Himalayan climber, and many many bulbs. They are essential in a county with such a long spring as we have!
Then seating areas became important despite very iffy weather conditions. I do so like being outside, taking my tea, being with the cats, thinking,...
I also love mystery and discovery so a few places like that would be good to create or to let be.
There is a view especially from the bottom of the garden over the Seat which is a fell on the other side of the Tarset valley.
A few garden "features" like a cairn perhaps, a firepit, a tea house...
I am planting herbs and learning which survive here with every year. Two rosemaries are doing surprisingly well! Wild garlic too.
There are places where the birds are happy feeding away, the rodents too, and rabbits unfortunately they are also fun for the cats!
A composting bin from freecycle. A water butt or two.
I have made a drawing of the garden as it is now and then Ben and I will do some clearing of overgrown areas this coming spring. Once I can see what it really is in terms of marshyness, slope, soil, I can really begin to plan better.
I want more soft fruit bushes, roses and peonies, herbs, fruit trees, a mountain laurel which I saw in New England but nowhere here, and dogwood the same. I also have trees to plant up the lane, chestnuts and oaks mainly. Plus a ginkgo which I want to find the perfect place for! Lots of plans! I take it slow season by season with Ben as a guide.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was nice going through your blog "Garden Inspiration". I enjoyed the garden tour. It was nice going through your blog. Iflorist.co.uk