Thursday 14 January 2010

New Moon

Despite very wintery weather, more snow falling on ice, and quite chilly temperatures I find it all still very beautiful. I cannot get over all this whiteness everywhere. It takes time to adjust to the different kind of light and sense of space, without all the added extra detail. I need it to be winter. Seasons are so important in the appreciation of where I live in this remote valley in the north.
The white outside makes for good window watching. The birds are grateful at the feeders, so lively and many kinds with all colours.
I have been working on a couple of short stories. Winter is such a good time for writing, and reflection. Reading too of course. Taking stock of this here life.
If anyone I know and trust would have told me 5 years ago that I would be living in this remote valley in Northumberland in a small bothy/shepherds cottage I would not have believed them. Firstly I would not even have known where Northumberland was.
I wonder where I will be 5 years from now? Come on tell me trusted one!

I am about to travel to London for the weekend. The main reason being the TS Eliot prize readings and giving which take place annually in London. The TSE is a big deal in the poetry world here. The prize is given by Valerie Eliot, his widow, and the main prize amount is £15.000! Each poet who has been shortlisted also receives £1000, which is very nice too.
This year it is a varied group including Hugo Williams, Sharon Olds, Christopher Reid, Philip Gross, and George Szirtes.
I am looking forward to the readings primarily, which take place at Queen Elizabeth Hall and seats 900 I believe!
Also I have planned to go and see the Eva Hesse exhibition @ CAC on my art day and Tate Modern. We shall see how much I manage to take in when I go and what my energy level will allow. My fibromyalgia is nowadays very painful, perhaps it is the winter climate...
Most of all I am looking forward to seeing my bestest friend Paul and having Holy Cow!

No comments: