Saturday 10 February 2007

Meetings with the remarkable part 2


Sandra Garner Lahire
I met Sandra when we were both students at St Martin's School of Art in London in the early eighties. We connected instantaneously. She was full of energy and intensity. I loved her! At first she was in the graphic design department upstairs in the white building on Long Acre but soon she was down in the basement with us doing film and video with Malcolm le Grice, William Raban, Tina Keane, Vera Neubauer etc. and students like Isaac Julien and amazing visiting film and video makers like Derek Jarman, Annabel Nicholson etc. It was a wonderful time to be a student there.
She and I would meet for lunch and she would talk non-stop, she was filled with ideas and telling me about her life also. She lived in Putney at the time in a most interesting house. I can say I looked up to her! She was older and crazier and I admired that!
Sandra made very unique films. A trilogy inspired by Sylvia Plath is perhaps the most well known and can be obtained through LUX cinema I think.
When I moved to the States after college I lived in the area of New England where Plath came from and I was really looking forward to Sandra visiting me there.
One time when I was in London I coincidentally ran into her at a LUX cinema screening n Hoxton Square. Guy Sherwin, Malcolm, Vera and many others were there. It was a blast from the past almost twenty years after our college days. It was so exciting to see her again and looking much like the picture above. To re-connect again. It was the last time I saw her, which I did not know of course. She died in 2001 at the age of 50.
I still have her e mail address and info in my address book NOT crossed out. I cannot bring myself to do it.

No comments: