Wednesday 7 February 2007

Nothing Wrong with Thumbsucking











It is comforting, you always have it with you, it is soothing when you want to sleep, a jolly good suck can make a real difference. There are many good reasons to be a thumbsucker.




Dentists, orthodontists of course have another opinion but they also make a great deal of money from the habit.




It is more than a habit, it can be a way of life, of coping, it is a coping strategy for stress and sadness, and loneliness. The thumb is a constant friend and companion. It is always there when you need it. You even have two!




The mouth is one of our most sensitive areas and it processes a lot of information. Taste, temperature, texture, it is a very sensual organ, also expressing sound.




I always feel that most of my conscious self lives in or inhabits my mouth. If I were asked for instance; "Where do you "feel" yourself most?" I might say; "In my mouth." And in my eyes too.

No comments: