Friday 30 November 2007

Other inspirations

I prefer to use the word inspiration to influence.
One can be inspired by so much in life and work. It is a more inclusive term to me.
Although influence is potent too, but more specific somehow and it is difficult to pinpoint HOW something influences one. Exactly anyway. The question is often asked especially of creative folk "What were or are your influences?". I think it is hard to answer accurately, but what perhaps is understood but not said is the fact that as a creative, one wants to be original and unique! Therefore "influences" are a no-no.
However I want to share my inspirations readily. When in my twenties I was struggling in particular with identity issues and how to become...
these people were beacons to me.
Joseph Beuys
Cora Sandel
Elka Spoerri
James Lee Byars
Meret Oppenheim
Sylvia Plath
Janet Frame

No comments: