Tuesday 27 November 2007

Up holden



Upholstery comes from two Middle English words, up and holden, which means in effect- to hold up. At the moment I am covering a very long cushion for the seat of my pew! My long, heavy, dark, gothic oak pew from the Old Baptist Church in Cambridge, Mass.
When it ceased to be a church it became a dancing school and they needed the pews to go, so I bought it for a pittance and could have had many more! Getting it home was another matter though, especially without a car. Finally on a little trolley with wheels and the help of a neighbour in white socks and no shoes we pushed it all the way home and then another neighbour helped me carry it up to my apartment on the second floor!
I got off the subject a little however. What I wanted to say was that I love going and learning upholstery! Tonight I made 11 yards of piping! I could have swung it like a lasso! It is so much fun learning a new skill and making something with one's hands. Not to forget the baked goods at break time. I ate mince pies like there was no tomorrow!
It is very satisfying making something which looks difficult but actually is not.
Next I will have to...

No comments: