Saturday 15 August 2009

Dragonfly and Tarset burn

The burn is swollen with rainwater and capturing the sunlight making it look like a silver snake in the valley.
A large dragonfly, no not large it was huge, flew by me in the garden at Sheep Cottage. The first one I have ever seen here in the valley where I now live.
It means a great deal to me. Dragonflies are my insect, my totem if you like. They are souls of the recent dead.
Trollslaenda in Swedish and Oeyenstikker in Norwegian, libellula and libelle...
That day when it flew by sounding like it had a wee motor was the very same day Bill visited with his two sons Tom and Joe.
They were on their way to Bamburgh on the Northumberland coast for a weeks holiday. The coast is a hidden treasure in the UK. Long golden yellow sandy beaches for miles and miles, castles, ruins, puffins on the Farne islands, Lindisfarne, etc. It is well worth a visit.

The silver snake reminds me that change is inevitable and to welcome it.

Bill I knew in the early 80's at MIT in Cambridge, Mass. He is a poet and followed the trail of John Clare. He now lives in the Lake District with his family. Then he worked for an MIT professor and I also worked at MIT. A very kind and humourful man.
The boys were wonderful and ate with hearty appetites. I hope to see them soon again, before they grow up in any case!
We discovered later that we had a very strong bond to the Cape in common. He had spent many years there a few decades ago.
The silver snake of poetry and life.

No comments: