Wednesday 28 January 2009

Life is Immense progress

I usually start with "brackets" when I am making/editing a film. By that I mean the very beginning and the very end. It is the sense of containing I think that helps.
There is so much material in this particular project and wading through it is daunting at times.
It is definitely fascinating and compelling and the question is how to fascinate and not bore. Finding that balance. I can watch footage for ages and have no problem looking and seeing more. But I have to think about an audience coming into a theatre from the outside and settling into a film which is of a manageable length and intensity.Yet what is a film if it does not ask for attention?
So far so good.I have plenty of time to complete this project thank goodness!
Samuel Menashe is extraordinary and remembers his poetry of a lifetime and sprinkles his entire conversation with it and stories relating...fascinating subject.
Could not have been easier to collect the material the challenge is what to cut.

No comments: