Sunday 25 January 2009

Robert Burns 250 years anniversary!


Robert Burns House and museum in Dumfries, Scotland.

Cottage where Robert Burns was born.

Robert Burns Center on the river Nith in Dumfries.

The Scottish poet Robbie Burns was born 250 years ago today. Above I show the cottage where he was born and then the house he lived in in Dumfries.
Last year I was fortunate enough to be invited to the Burns Center in Dumfries to show the presentation film for In Person 30 Poets and this was in conjunction with an excellent reading by Moniza Alvi. The evening was superb with a friendly audience and a fabulous Indian meal afterwards with lovely people from the center. We stayed at an Arts and Crafts style B and B run by a former PC!

All over today people have celebrated with haggis and single malt and what have you!
I just like to recite his poetry and remember from my childhood my father reciting by heart and one of my favourite books was a Robert Burns with soft tartan covers!

No comments: