Wednesday 4 November 2009

Melancholia and nostalgia

Every autumn it is similar in that I become covered in feelings of melancholia and nostalgia like a duvet to shut out the cold.
Duvet day is a good expression. I also have robe days.
It is already getting dark and it is only 3pm, the sun set colours are warm and I look forward to the imminent moonrise.
It is mild for the season but also very rainy. This time last year we had had serious frost by now and snow in October.
Melancholia is not as transparent as nostalgia for me. I think of kicking leaves in different locales where my life took place.
Warsaw, Stockholm, Cambridge, Basel,...a stage set in a sense for the drama of this particular life to play out. A comedy or a tragedy or...

Melancholia is expressed in the desire to hibernate to check out from the dark time. Energy levels are lower. Slowing down, and more indoor activities take over. Writing and reading and thinking.

I also imagine an orangery where I can put all my plants and place a tub for lounging/soaking in under the sun. In my dream it will be added to the back of the cottage and very private. I will have my lemon trees, oleander, geraniums, succulents, jasmine in there and it will be like a piece of heaven during the cold, dark winter months.

No comments: